Can I tell you that I feel old? We’ve returned home after spending a long weekend with our youth group on our winter retreat. Our students reported that it was “the best retreat ever” and I’d have to agree. We spent our days in sessions, cheering on our broomball team, zip lining, snow tubing and meeting other students. We stayed up way later than I’m used to and I’ve been reminded that I’m well past my teen years. Precious memories were made and my sides still hurt from laughing so hard. A great time was had by all!
The camp that we go to is 6 hours away so there is lots of time to bond on the bus. One thing that I love about road trips is making snack food. Our students are some of my most frequent taste testers and give great feedback about recipes. Although no one ever says it, there’s an expectation that I make something for all of our events. Or at least I put that expectation on myself. A leader from another church asked our students about what they do for fun. One of our students said, “Hang out at the Blandford’s house because JJ makes us good food.” Yes, they know that flattery keeps me cooking for them. So of course I had to make them snacks for this trip! One of the treats that I made was Trail Mix Krispie Treats. The kids raved about them so I think it’s safe to say they were a home run.
The recipe comes together quickly and is simply a krispie treat with pretzels and M&M’s added in. The original recipe actually used a trail mix that included peanuts. I’m not a big fan of peanuts so I swapped them out for peanut M&M’s. They also have a salted caramel ribbon through them, which makes them extra decadent. The original is also for a square pan so I modified it to make a 9×13 pan of krispie treats. Whether you are headed out on a road trip of your own or just looking for a unique snack, these krispie treats are worth a shot!
Recipe slightly adapted from Cookies and Cups
Trail Mix Krispies
By March 5, 2013Published:
- Yield: 24 bars
A krispie treat full of pretzels, caramel and M&M's. They're delicious!
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1.5 bags mini marshmallows
- 5 cups krispie rice cereal
- 2 cups broken pretzel pieces
- 1.5 cups M&M's I used a mix of plain and peanut
- 25 caramel squares
- 1/3 cup half and half
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Spray a 9x13 with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large pot, melt butter over low heat.
- While the butter is melting, melt caramels with the half and half in a microwave safe dish. Cook for 3 minutes, stopping to stir every minute until melted. Once melted add the salt. Set aside.
- Once butter is melted, add the marshmallows to the pot. Stir until the marshmallows have melted.
- Add cereal and pretzel pieces and stir to coat. Add the M&M's and stir until combined.
- Drizzle the caramel over the krispie mixture, then turn the mixture out into the 9x13. Press the mixture into an even layer in the pan.
- Let cool for 1 hour. Once cooled, cut into 24 bars.
WordPress Recipe Plugin by ReciPress